Saturday, November 21, 2009

Owl Cake

I received an order from a friend of a friend of my sister's. She sent me a copy of the most adorable birthday invitation, with a little chubby owl, sitting on a tree branch holding a balloon. It was all in a warm pink and fern green, simple retroish style. I instantly fell in love with the design and immediately started visualizing the cake in my head.
This cake was pumpkin flavored with vanilla cinnamon cream cheese filling.
I also made her a little smash cake, with a little baby owl sleeping on a pillow.
I had to experiment with gumpaste, and found that if I had made the balloon and owl out of pure gumpaste, they would be much too heavy for the branch to support, so I covered a foam egg for the owl, and a tiny foam egg for the balloon, with gumpaste, and this worked pretty well.



No comments: