Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Kokeshi doll

This doll cake was a gift for my mom on mother's day. In Japan, these little wooden carved dolls are very popular and are given to children on children's day, and other special days. They are all painted with different types of kimonos and special hairdos and stuff. Some of them are painted like brides or little girls, or old grandmas, etc. I don't know if I've ever seen a boy kokeshi doll before, though, come to think of it. Hm.
Anyway I found a pic of this doll online, and thought it looked so cute. It reminded me of the sweet innocent side of my daughter that is rarely seen these days. :)
And my daughter, I call her my helper number one (my son's number two), made all of the flowers and hand painted each one in gold paint with a different pattern for each one. She's really creative and getting really skilled at using my flower cutters on fondant. Saves me so much time, and makes for a fun mother daughter bonding. (keeps her out of my hair too)




No comments: